GDPR Preparations Should be well Underway by Companies and Organisations NOW
With only a few short months to the enforcement of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (25 May 2018) preparations for its arrival by relevant businesses and organisations should now be well underway. Please check out the links below which provide a useful point of engagement and information. A good grip of the core principles will provide a stronger basis to effectively engage with the new Regulation. I usually recommend 1-2 hours per week research on the the Regulators’ websites for new clients and also get get their ‘shop window’ (a.k.a. website!) up to speed with the appropriate privacy statements/ cookie notices…
Also, kick off by asking yourself…
What is data protection?
What is the definition Personal data?
What are my data flows?
Am I a controller or processor?
What are the principles of data protection?
The Data Protection Commissioner’s website provides the following…
Basic Data Protection Checklist
- Are the individuals whose data you collect aware of your identity?
- Have you told the data subject what use you make of his/her data?
- Are the disclosures you make of that data legitimate ones?
- Do you have appropriate security measures in place both internally and externally to ensure all access to data is appropriate?
- Do you have appropriate procedures in place to ensure that each data item is kept up-to-date?
- Do you have a defined policy on retention periods for all items of personal data?
- Do you have a data protection policy in place?
- Do you have procedures for handling access requests from individuals?
- Are you clear on whether or not you should be registered?
- Are your staff appropriately trained in data protection?
- Do you regularly review and audit the data which you hold and the manner in which they are processed?
Remember, the information above is a starting point only. You may need to obtain specialist assistance and/or advice to be in the adequately compliant space! Best of luck with your preparations…
P.S. please see an article I published some time back to provide awareness generally…